Sunday, September 7, 2014

Aand now I'm back...



The lack of posts has been due for a while to laziness, since I did do some nice things at the end of spring, including a trip to the mountains in the "country of the clouds" in Anhui province, and 3 very pleasant days in Shanghai just before I left, which included finding out the amazing story of how Japan-occupied Shanghai opened its arms to Jews, and spending a ton of money in the French concession.

Then I was back on the home turf. For 2 months. Where I can take white privilege for granted, make myself understood and get used to things not being (too) loud and messy. It's not a long time, but bound to lead to at least a little readjustment. Travelling to Ginseng was a bit of an adventure: my connection from Amsterdam was late (I think I'm going start boycotting KLM, because it's the second time something similar happened). When I got to Shanghai and schlepped my way to the station (1 hour and a half by subway) I was informed that there were no more trains to Gin Tonic, except one that arrived really late at night and left from another station. I subsequently learned that it's because it's Mid-Autumn festival on Monday, hence a lot of people moving around a lot. So I phone the hotel I stay in usually, which luckily had a room. Thus I was stranded 2 days in Shanghai (well, if you can get "stranded" in such a city, I took the opportunity to run a burocratic errand and have a meal at the famous Fairmont Peace Hotel, a gorgeous historical hotel).

Then, finally, I made it home. Or home away from home. Barring the corpse of one cockroach and a mysterious mini-flood in the balcony, the flat was in perfect condition (as perfect as it get from me). The university is still very ghostly, and it's hooooot (yes, there's always a reason to complain about weather in China). It looks like courses will start later than I expected, which means a slow and gentler transition.

So it's my first real "back to school" in China since I arrived mid-year and it will be my first fall. Let's see what it holds (hopefully more regular posts).

No comments:

Post a Comment